WELCOME TO TANKA TUESDAY!
Are you ready for a #TankaTuesday theme prompt? Ken Gierke (Rivrvlogr) from last month’s challenge picked the theme:
Merriam-Webster has several definitions for the word transitions, found HERE.
Learning how to write poetry featuring a theme is good practice for poets who’d like to submit their poetry to journals and contests. Check out our HUGE list HERE!
How do you start? Here is a great article from the Guardian on how to write a poem on a theme:
“This year, the theme for National Poetry Day is Light. I was asked to write a poem on the subject for Light, the National Poetry Day book (download it for free). Here’s how I went about it. It’s a technique you can use for writing a poem on any theme – aliens, Hallowe’en, getting old, football, animals… anything at all.
First of all, in the middle of a large piece of paper, I wrote LIGHT… READ MORE…”The Guardian: Poetry secrets: how to write a poem on a theme
This is an example of a mind map. This technique works well when planning out your themed poetry. Don’t forget to count those syllables!
GRAB your printable FREE PDF daily syllabic poetry journal sheet HERE
Here are some sites that will help you write your poetry and count syllables:
Not sure how to write syllabic poetry? READ THIS FIRST: How to Craft Syllabic Poetry
Word Craft: Prose & Poetry – The Art of Crafting Syllabic Poetry
- Write a poem based on the above theme using a syllabic form of your choice found on the cheat sheet OR from the Poetscollective.org using the theme above.
- *USE sodacoffee.com/syllables to count your syllables. That way, we are all using the same syllable counter.
- Post it on your blog. Include a link back to the challenge in your post. (copy the https:// address of this post into your post).
- Copy the https:// address link of your published post into the Mr. Linky below.
- Please click the small checkbox on Mr. Linky about data protection.
- Read and comment on some of your fellow poets’ work.
- Like and leave a comment below if you choose to do so.
Follow the 2022 schedule listed below: